1. An 1887 map of Little Rock showing the park.
|Used by/for||Arkansas Travelers (Semi-pro) 1885-Unknown|
|Location||Corner of 12th St and High St, Little Rock, AR|
Association Park was the home of the Arkansas Travelers Baseball Club, a semi-pro team in the 1880s. Likewise, the field was used many other amateur and semi-pro teams, and possibly even early professional teams in Little Rock.
The ballpark, which does not have a known official name, was located at the southwest corner of 11th and High streets in Little Rock. The area, known as Jacobi Grove, featured a small park, wine orchard and saloon.
In Little Rock during the mid 1880s, grounds to play baseball on were hard to come by. So, in 1885, the Arkansas Traveler Baseball Club erected a baseball field at Jacobi Grove after receiving permission from Mr. Conrad Dutlinger, the saloonkeeper. The land was leveled out and put into proper shape.
The Arkansas Travelers were the premier baseball team in the city at the time, and were sponsored by the Arkansas Traveler Paper. Not much is known about the team, but they are not believed to be directly related to the later Little Rock Travelers or Arkansas Travelers.
Association Park continued to be the center of baseball in Little Rock until the mid 1890s when West End Park was built in the city, becoming the main baseball in town. Association Park was closed shortly afterwards.
Photo 1. courtesy of the Central Arkansas Library